The average person considers their home to be a safe haven for their families. However, when it comes to your home’s electrical system, the safe space can become a danger zone if electrical hazards aren’t identified and addressed right away. There are dozens of ordinary, yet overlooked electrical risks and here are a few of the top electrical hazards to identify and fix in order to keep your home safe for the people who live in it:


Poor Wiring

Proper electrical wiring for any building is fundamental. Damaged or loose wires increase the chance of electrocution, power surges, and fires. For example, cables and cords that are excessively old or have been chewed on by pets or rodents could present cause for concern. If you discover deteriorating or incorrect wiring in your house, it’s wise to avoid touching it and call a professional to fix it.  

Electrical Outlets Near Water Sources

Most people are aware that water and electricity together are a recipe for disaster. Unfortunately, many fail to realize the proximity of water and electrical outlets in places such as kitchens and bathrooms. Every outlet near a water source should be an equipped ground fault circuit interrupter (GCFI) outlet.

Also, even simply touching electrical appliances with wet or damp hands increases the chance of shock. Always unplug devices that aren’t in use, and keep them a safe distance from sinks and tubs. Also, be sure to keep an eye out for cords of radios, hair dryers, and phone chargers near wet or damp areas, such as near pools, bathroom sinks, and mopped floors.


We often joke about the simplicity of screwing in a lightbulb, but it only takes the shock from one overheated light bulb to put someone in the emergency room. Just as with electrical outlets, it’s vital to keep bulbs away from wet areas and not to touch them with wet or damp hands. Also, be sure to keep them away from flammable material, such as curtains and upholstery. Last, but not least, always make sure you’re using the correct wattage of a light bulb to avoid overheating and fires.  

Overloaded Power Outlets

Nowadays, it’s habitual to overload sockets with phone chargers, laptops chargers, space heaters, and other essential cords, but not quite up to safety standards. Too many appliances in one power strip can still pose a risk for an electrical fire. Try to keep your plugged appliances at a minimum, unplugging anything that is not in use.

Children Playing Near Electrical Outlets

Children, especially babies and toddlers, should not be left unsupervised around uncovered electrical outlets. Even while under supervision, it only takes a quick moment for a child to investigate and put themselves in the way of potential harm. Since young children do not understand the repercussions of electrical shock and burns as teenagers and adults do, it’s wise to cover outlets with plastic closures. Parents and caretakers can take protection a step further by installing safety wall plates over outlets.  

From installations to emergency services, Castle Electric has the knowledge and skill of electrical safety procedures in residential and commercial buildings. If you need an electrician to correctly rewire or check your home for signs of electrical hazards, give us a call.